ExcelsuS

Toscana IGT

Supertuscans

Production Area

Estate vineyards, on the southern hills of Montalcino. Altitude: Merlot: 170 m above sea level, Cabernet Sauvignon: 220 m above sea level. Position: Hillside.

GRAPE VARIETIES

Merlot (60%), Cabernet Sauvignon (40%).

Method of production

Produced only in favorable vintages. The two varieties are vinified separately in Horizon hybrid stainless steel & wood tanks, with variable maceration between 8 (Merlot) and 18 (Cabernet) days. Alcoholic fermentation is followed by malolactic fermentation which takes place in barriques in temperature controlled areas. A 20-months aging period at a controlled temperature of 15° C follows. In the first 12 months the varieties age separately and then are blended and aged as a blend for the following 8 months.

The winemaker comment

Estate-bottled only in exceptional vintage years, this SuperTuscan integrates the best tradition of the noble French grapes of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon with the extraordinary Montalcino terroir. An austere wine, with a rare concentration and structure.

Vintage notes 2010

  • Excelsus
  • Denomination Tuscana IGT
  • GRAPE VARIETIES 60% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Method of production In our custom temperature controlled hybrid stainless steel and oak tanks with macerationat 14° C for 14 days, brought step-by-step at 32°C . Once racked, the wines were transferred to barrique to undergo malolactic fermentation naturally in a temperature-controlled cellar.  At the end of this phase, the barrels were cleaned, topped and sealed for further aging.  The following spring the individual wines were blended and the cuvee returned to barrique.  Aged for 20 months in Troncais, Allier, and Never barrels.
Specifications
  • BRIX 26
  • ALCOHOL 14.8%
  • PH 3.58
  • EXTRACT JUICE NET (G/LT.) 33.5
  • RESIDUAL SUGAR (G/LT.) 1.5
  • Color intensity 1.4
  • Total acidity 5.2
  • Malic Acidity 0.01
  • Volatile Acidity 0.6
SO2 (MG/LT.)
  • Total 108
  • Free 36
TASTING

Deep red wine, definitely fruity with notes of spices, tobacco and coffee. In the mouth you feel the big structure, characterized by important tannins, although they remain gentle on the palate. Enjoyable since now but it also promises a good aging potential.

  • ExcelsuS
  • Denomination Toscana IGT
  • GRAPE VARIETIES 60% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Method of production In our custom temperature controlled hybrid stainless steel and oak tanks with  maceration  at 14° C for 14 days, brought step-by-step at 32°C . Once racked, the wines were transferred to barrique to undergo malolactic fermentation naturally in a temperature-controlled cellar.  At the end of this phase, the barrels were cleaned, topped and sealed for further aging.  The following spring the individual wines were blended and the cuvee returned to barrique. Length of Barrel Aging: 20 months. Origin of Barrel: Troncais, Allier and Never.
Specifications
  • BRIX 26
  • ALCOHOL 15%
  • PH 3.65
  • EXTRACT JUICE NET (G/LT.) 33.5
  • RESIDUAL SUGAR (G/LT.) 1.8
  • Color intensity 1.3
  • Total acidity 4.93
  • Malic Acidity 0.01
  • Volatile Acidity 0.64
SO2 (MG/LT.)
  • Total 110
  • Free 34
TASTING

Color is deep red. The bouquet is complex, with aromas of cassis, ripe fruit, licorice and tobacco. In the mouth the wine is very powerful, full-bodied and enveloping. Ideal for long aging. 

  • ExcelsuS
  • Denomination Toscana IGT
  • GRAPE VARIETIES 60% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Method of production In temperature controlled hybrid stainless steel and oak tanks with  maceration  at 14° C for 14 days, and brought step-by-step at 32°C . Once racked, the wines were transferred to barrique to undergo malolactic fermentation naturally in a temperature-controlled cellar.  At the end of this phase, the barrels were cleaned, topped and sealed for further aging.  The following spring the individual wines were blended and the cuvee returned to barrique.     Length of Barrel Aging: 20 months. Origin of Barrel: Troncais, Allier and Never.
Specifications
  • ALCOHOL 14.5%
  • PH 3.69
  • EXTRACT JUICE NET (G/LT.) 34.0
  • RESIDUAL SUGAR (G/LT.) 2.12
  • Color intensity 1.484
  • Total acidity 4.93
  • Malic Acidity 0.01
  • Volatile Acidity 0.64
SO2 (MG/LT.)
  • Total 110
  • Free 34
TASTING

Deep and intense red color. The bouquet is complex with hints of licorice, coffee, cocoa, tobacco and  cherry jam. Full bodied, powerful, but at the same time soft and silky. This wine has an unbelievable aging potential being enjoyable since now for at least the next 15 years. 

  • ExcelsuS
  • GRAPE VARIETIES 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot
  • Method of production Merlot: In stainless steel tanks with partial maceration at 5% whole berry at 14° C for two days, and brought step-by-step at 32°C for the last day of alcoholic fermentation; after 14 days of maceration was made the devatting.    Cabernet Sauvignon: Initial maceration at 12° C for a few days in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks, followed by a gradually increase to have a 30°C temperature for the last day of alcoholic fermentation.  After a few days about 20% of the must was transferred to finish fermentation in barrique.  The residual 80% remained in stainless steel. Malolactic: Once racked, the wines were transferred to barrique to undergo malolactic fermentation naturally in a temperature-controlled cellar.  At the end of this phase, the barrels were cleaned, topped and sealed for further aging.  The following spring the individual wines were blended and the cuvee returned to barrique. Length of Barrel Aging: 23 months. Origin of Barrel: Troncais, Allier and Never from France’s Massif Central forest.
Specifications
  • BRIX 24.2
  • ALCOHOL 13.45%
  • PH 3.54
  • EXTRACT JUICE NET (G/LT.) 34.2
  • Color intensity 1.336
  • Total acidity 5.23
  • Malic Acidity 0.01
  • Volatile Acidity 0.61
SO2 (MG/LT.)
  • Total 108
  • Free 32
TASTING

Deep and intense red color. The bouquet is complex and fruity reminding of small berries and soft notes of coffee, cocoa and tobacco. Full bodied with powerful tannins. This wine has an unbelievable aging potential being enjoyable since now for at least the next 15 years. 

  • ExcelsuS
  • GRAPE VARIETIES 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot
  • Method of production Merlot: In stainless steel with partial maceration at 5% whole berry at 14° C for two days, and brought step-by-step at 32°C for the last day of alcoholic fermentation; after 14 days of maceration was made the devatting.    Cabernet Sauvignon: Initial maceration at 12° C for a few days in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks, followed by a gradually increase to have a 30°C temperature for the last day of alcoholic fermentation.  After a few days about 20% of the must was transferred to finish fermentation in barrique.  The residual 80% remained in stainless steel. Malolactic: Once racked, the wines were transferred to barrique to undergo malolactic fermentation naturally in a temperature-controlled cellar.  At the end of this phase, the barrels were cleaned, topped and sealed for further aging.  The following spring the individual wines were blended and the cuvee returned to barrique. Length of Barrel Aging: 23 months. Origin of Barrel: Troncais, Allier and Never from France’s Massif Central forest.                                     
Specifications
  • BRIX 24.2
  • ALCOHOL 13.2%
  • PH 3.54
  • EXTRACT JUICE NET (G/LT.) 33.7
  • Color intensity 1250
  • Total acidity 5.28
  • Malic Acidity 0.04
  • Volatile Acidity 0.52
SO2 (MG/LT.)
  • Total 102
  • Free 35
TASTING

Deep and intense red color. Very fruity aromas with notes of small berries, cassis, cherry and spices. Full bodied with powerful and mature tannins. The aftertaste is really very long with an incredible aging prospective. This vintage yelled for an unbelievable great expression. 

  • ExcelsuS
  • GRAPE VARIETIES 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot
  • Method of production Merlot: In stainless steel with partial maceration at 5% whole berry at 14° C for two days, and brought Step-by-step at 32°C for the last day of alcoholic fermentation; after 9-10 days of maceration was made the devatting.    Cabernet Sauvignon: Initial maceration at 12° C for a few days in temperature-controlled stainless steel, followed by a gradually increase to have a 30°C temperature for the last day of alcoholic fermentation.  After a few days about 20% of the must was transferred to finish fermentation in barrique.  The remaining 80% remained in stainless steel. Malolactic: Once racked, the wines were transferred to barrique to undergo malolactic fermentation naturally in a temperature-controlled cellar.  At the end of this phase, the barrels were cleaned, topped and sealed for further aging.  The following spring the individual wines were blended and the cuvee returned to barrique. Length of Barrel Aging: 23 months. Origin of Barrel: Troncais, Allier and Never from France’s Massif Central forest.  
Specifications
  • BRIX 24.2
  • ALCOHOL 13.0%
  • PH 3.77
  • EXTRACT JUICE NET (G/LT.) 30.7
  • Color intensity 1670
  • Total acidity 5.0
  • Malic Acidity 0.01
  • Volatile Acidity 0.7
SO2 (MG/LT.)
  • Total 99
  • Free 30
TASTING

Due to the regular ripening the wine has a big aromatic freshness. Very deep and intense red; complex aroma of black berries, like cassis, cherry, and raspberries; but also aromas of spices, tobacco, and licorice. Big structure with mature, sweet and strong tannins. Long and sweet, tremendous age potential.

  • ExcelsuS
  • GRAPE VARIETIES 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot
  • Method of production Merlot: In stainless steel with partial maceration at 5% whole berry at 14° C for two days, and brought step by step at 30°C for the last day of alcoholic fermentation; after 9-10 days of maceration was made the devatting. Cabernet Sauvignon: Initial maceration at 12° C for a few days in temperature-controlled stainless steel, followed by a gradually increase to have a 30°C temperature for the last day of alcoholic fermentation.  After a few days about 20% of the must was transferred to finish fermentation in barrique.  The remaining 80% remained in stainless steel.  Malolactic: Once racked, the wines were transferred to barrique to undergo malolactic fermentation.naturally in a temperature-controlled cellar.  At the end of this phase, the barrels were  cleaned, topped and sealed for further aging.  The following spring the individual wines were blended and the cuvee returned to barrique. Length of Barrel Aging: 23 months. Origin of Barrel: Troncais, Allier and Nevers from France’s Massif Central forest.
Specifications
  • BRIX 23.4
  • ALCOHOL 13.1%
  • PH 3.48
  • EXTRACT JUICE NET (G/LT.) 30.5
  • RESIDUAL SUGAR (G/LT.) 1.3
  • Color intensity 1170
  • Total acidity 5.8
  • Malic Acidity 0.02
  • Volatile Acidity 0.6
SO2 (MG/LT.)
  • Total 98
  • Free 30
TASTING

Deep, mauve red; complex aroma of black berries, cherry and raspberry; but also spicy notes and tobacco. Very important structure with round and strong tannins. Long and persistent, good for aging.

  • ExcelsuS
  • GRAPE VARIETIES 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot
  • Method of production Merlot: In stainless steel with partial maceration at 5% whole berry at 12° C for two days, and brought step by step at 30°C for the last day of alcoholic fermentation; after 9-10 days of maceration was made the devatting.    Cabernet Sauvignon: Initial maceration at 12° C for a few days in temperature-controlled stainless steel, followed by a gradually increase to have a 30°C temperature for the last day of alcoholic fermentation.  After a few days about 20% of the must was transferred to finish fermentation in barrique.  The remaining 80% remained in stainless steel. Malolactic: Once racked, the wines were transferred to barrique to undergo malolactic fermentation.naturally in a temperature-controlled cellar.  At the end of this phase, the barrels were cleaned, topped and sealed for further aging.  The following spring the individual wines were blended and the cuvee returned to barrique. Length of Barrel Aging: 18 months. Origin of Barrel: Troncais, Allier and Nevers from France’s Massif Central forest.
Specifications
  • BRIX 23.5
  • ALCOHOL 13.2%
  • PH 3.52
  • EXTRACT JUICE NET (G/LT.) 30
  • Color intensity 1150
  • Total acidity 5.2
  • Volatile Acidity 0.65
SO2 (MG/LT.)
  • Total 85
  • Free 30
TASTING

Our cabernets have been always strong and deep colored, but in 1999’s vintage they had a very nice finesse, too and an aromatic profile without any herbaceous notes that characterized some cabernets during the past years.

  • ExcelsuS
  • GRAPE VARIETIES 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot
  • Method of production Merlot: In stainless steel with partial maceration at 5% whole berry at 10° C for two days, then brought to 15° C for five days, followed by five days of fermentation at 18-20°C, racked after 12 days of maceration.  Cabernet Sauvignon: Initial maceration at 15° C for 5 days in temperature-controlled stainless steel, followed by increase to 23° C.  After 5 days of maceration, 25% of the must was transferred to finish fermentation in barrique.  The remaining 75% remained in stainless steel for 7 days of maceration at 20° C. Malolactic: Once racked, the wines were transferred to barrique to undergo malolactic fermentation.naturally.  At the end of this phase, the barrels were cleaned, topped and sealed for further aging.  The following spring the individual wines were blended and the cuvee returned to barrique. Length of Barrel Aging: 23 months. Origin of Barrel: Troncais, Allier and Nevers from France’s Massif Central forest.
Specifications
  • BRIX 23.4
  • ALCOHOL 13.2%
  • PH 3.51
  • EXTRACT JUICE NET (G/LT.) 31.3
  • Color intensity 1160
  • Total acidity 5.3
  • Volatile Acidity 0.6
SO2 (MG/LT.)
  • Total 98
  • Free 28
TASTING

Deep, opaque red, complex aroma of black berries, cherry, violets, but also aromas of tobacco, mint, leather; imposing structure of great personality with well-structured tannins that are still young.  Long and persistent, tremendous aging potential. 

  • ExcelsuS
  • GRAPE VARIETIES 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot
  • Method of production Method: In temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks. Temperature: 27-29 degrees centigrade. Malolactic: Yes. Length: 12-13 days. Length of Barrel Aging: 24 months. Origin of Barrel: Troncais, Allier and Nevers from France’s Massif Central forest, plus a small quantity of American Oak.
Specifications
  • BRIX 22.7
  • ALCOHOL 12.7%
  • PH 3.64
  • EXTRACT JUICE NET (G/LT.) 31.4
  • Color intensity 1156
  • Total acidity 5.9
  • Volatile Acidity 0.7
SO2 (MG/LT.)
  • Total 87
  • Free 30
TASTING

Very intense color, still showing some violet reflexes; an aromatic profile characterized by a good marriage between the fruitiness of the wine and the toasty flavor of the barrel, with prevailing flavors of plums, cassis, hazelnut, coffee, and a light note of butter.  A full body with good tannins, indicating a secure evolution over the coming years.  A very harmonious body, with a great finish on the palate. 

  • ExcelsuS
  • GRAPE VARIETIES 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot
  • Method of production Method: In temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks. Temperature: 27-30 degrees centigrade. Malolactic: Yes. Length: 12-14 days plus 10 days post. Length of Barrel Aging: 26 months. Origin of Barrel: Troncais, Allier from France’s Massif Central forest. (90% new oak)    
Specifications
  • BRIX 23.5
  • ALCOHOL 13.3%
  • PH 3.52
  • EXTRACT JUICE NET (G/LT.) 30.2
  • Color intensity 1129
  • Total acidity 5.2
  • Volatile Acidity 0.66
SO2 (MG/LT.)
  • Total 96
  • Free 21
TASTING

Wonderful fruit, beautifully woven into a silky wooden texture.  Incredibly powerful and young, with long aging potential.

PRIVACY POLICY

Banfi S.r.l. places fundamental importance on your personal privacy. Banfi S.r.l. takes all steps to protect the personal information of the users. Optimal service is possible when we can assure that the user is aware of and understands the norms and criteria adopted for our privacy policy. The criteria used by Banfi S.r.l. regarding personal information are as follows:
 
Why personal information is collected?
Banfi S.r.l. gathers and uses personal information of the users to guarantee optimal service and to facilitate access to a broad range of products and services. Furthermore, the personal information is used to keep every user updated on new offerings and other information that Banfi S.r.l. believe may be useful to the user. Furthermore, personal information could be used to contact the user to invite the user to participate in eventual market research that allows us to both evaluate the level of user satisfaction and to develop superior products.
 
How personal information is collected
Information about our users is collected in different ways. For example, information that can be used to contact the user can be requested when that person writes to Banfi S.r.l., telephones to ask about a service, or participates in an online poll. Furthermore, when a person subscribes to the internet service of Banfi S.r.l. or to the mailing list, they provide information that is then collected and filed within a secure database.
 
When personal information is revealed
It can become necessary to reveal personal data of the client by law or in the course of legal proceedings or other situations in the public interest.
 
How personal information is protected
Banfi S.r.l. protects the security of information sent by people using physical, electronic and managerial methods. Banfi S.r.l. invites its users to take the necessary steps to protect their personal data on the Internet. Banfi S.r.l. suggests that users often change their password, using a combination of letters and numbers, and relying solely on secure browsers.

Access to personal information
The user can, at any time, access information regarding themselves. To review and update personal information that Banfi S.r.l. has gathered, please contact banfi@banfi.it.
 
Collection of personal information
It is possible to navigate the websites of Banfi S.r.l. anonymously. In any case, the browser automatically comunicates the type of computer and operating system used.

Like many other websites, Banfi S.r.l. uses "cookie" technology. The first time a user connects to the site, their cookies identify the browser with a random and unique number. The cookies used do not reveal any information of a personal nature to the user, including first names that could be used to welcome the user on their next visit. The cookies help us understand what part of the website the users visit more frequently, which are the paths used by the clients, and how long they remain connected. The cookies are used to study the traffic patterns of the Banfi S.r.l. websites in order to improve their functionality.