Dedicated vineyards sloping down from the historic Poggio alle Mura Castle crowning our estate. We chose this patch of land, particularly suited to grow Brunello Sangiovese, to plant the first vineyard resulting from over a decade of research to isolate the optimal selection of clones to produce consistently outstanding Brunello di Montalcino. The vines were planted in 1992. Altitude: 210-220 meters above sea level. Position: Hillside.
100% Sangiovese, from a combination of estate selected clones.
The grape harvest is followed by a maceration of 12-13 days. Alcoholic fermentation takes place in temperature - controlled hybrid stainless steel & wood tanks (27-29°C). About 90% of the wine is aged for 2 years in French oak barriques - manufactured according to Banfi’s specifications - and the remaining 10% in Slavonian oak casks. Before release, the wine is bottle-aged for an additional 12 months.
The first result of more than two decades of experimental research, Poggio alle Mura is a superb example of the best synthesis of terroir, selection and technological innovation. Estate-bottled from the splendid sun drenched vineyard adjacent to the Castello this Brunello encompasses a full body and complexity unique to the genre.
Highly Recommended / 90
Super Tre Stelle
Super Tre Stelle
4 stars (Higly recommemded)
The red color is very intense. The bouquet is sweet and complex, with notes of blackberry jam, tobacco and vanilla. The structure is incredibly extensive but soft and well balanced. Great persistence in the finish. This wine suits for a long aging.
The color is a beautiful deep red, with garnet tones. The bouquet offers intense aromas of blackberry, plum, coffee, tobacco and a light note of butterscotch. On the palate, the wine is rich, powerful, muscular, yet soft and velvety, thanks to pleasingly harmonious tannins. Extremely persistent, and suitable for long aging.
The color is an intense red, with garnet hues. On the nose there are complex aromas, with hints of plum jam, vanilla, tobacco and coffee, and with a light spicy note. On the palate it is full, soft and persistent with ripe supple tannins and great structure. Its long finish and gentle aftertaste reveals great potential for aging.
Very deep red color with ruby nuances. Intricate aromas, with notes of plum jam, vanilla, tobacco and coffee, as well as hints of leather. Round and very long on the palate, it shows a big structure, with exceptionally supple tannins. Its long finish and gentle aftertaste demonstrates great potential for aging.
Very intense color with garnet nuances. Complex aromas on the nose with hints of plum jam, vanilla, tobacco and coffee. Full-bodied, round and long on the palate, with extremely soft tannins. Very persistent in the final, with a sweet aftertaste. Great aging potentials.
Very deep red with garnet-colored nuances. Complex, spicy and sweet on the nose with hints of vanilla, pipe tobacco and coffee. The wine has a great structure: powerful but not aggressive; soft and rich. Extremely persistent on the palate, with great aging potential.
Deep and intense red color; the perfume results complex with spicy and gentle flavors; rich aromas of prunes, tobacco and cacao. On the palate these aromas are heightened and lengthened, with a great structure, round and concentrated at the same time.
Intense and deep ruby red color. The aroma that is soft and complex reminds of blackberry jam with notes of tobacco and chocolate. The wine is full bodied and well structured with excellent balance. A great wine that should only improve with age
Very deep color. Complex and soft flavors; aromas of blackberries, chocolate and tobacco. Big structure, soft and well balanced. Long finish. For sure this is a wine for long ageing.
Deep and intense red mauve color; complex with fresh and sweet flavors; rich aromas of plums, cherries, and blackberry jam, all combined with scents of chocolate, tobacco, coffee and licorice. On the palate these aromas are heightened and lengthened, with a good acidity that will help a long aging. After the deglutition the sweetness grows lengthening the persistence.
Intense mauve red color; to well understand this wine it is necessary to oxygen it for a while: it changes from the truffle and mineral flavors to the notes of jam, licorice and tobacco. On the palate a big structure with powerful tannins very good promise for a long aging. Sweet, long and elegant ending.
Deep and intense red color; complex but immediately captivating, with fresh and sweet flavors: plums, cherries, blackberry jam, raspberries, all combined with scents of chocolate, cigar box, vanilla and licorice. On the palate these aromas are heightened and lengthened, with incredible rersistence. The sensation of sweetness is accentuated, and the body is muscular and in tone, ready to impress for its power and softness. Sweet and soft tannins. A great Brunello that inspires superlatives.